Friday, January 19, 2007

how to tell if someone went to a good college or not

I try to delegate houshold stuff as much as possible. When #1 is around, he earns his 11yr old keep with dishes, taking out the trash, and othe stuff appropriate for him that I don't want to do. But since I work from home, the daily stack of dishes piling up in the sink is pretty much my gig to eliminate.

Fortunately, it is one of the household chores I don't detest, which is not the same thing as saying I enjoy it. Sort of like going to the dentist, but at least getting an anesthetic . Which reminds of the time in college that I had a bad tooth, no dental insurance, and had to decide if I wanted to pay for the filling. It was cheaper to just get it pulled. And cheaper yet still to do it without anything to numb that sumbich. At the time, $40 was a very big deal to me. And since I've already gone on a tangent here, I'll add that it ultimately saved me even more money, because it made room for a wisdom tooth to come in.

But I digress.

Scottie stayed with us for a spell a little bit ago, and he took over doing the dishes after dinner. #1 was feeling pretty good about himself, but then again, so was I. There is a point to this story, I swear.

What with Scottie doing the dishes, he did it his own way. Sure, folks have their preferences about putting the silverwear up or down and so forth, but what really got me was what he did with the brush used to de-gunk the dishes before putting them in the washer.

Which reminds me that I prefer just washing the dishes by hand and putting them in the rack to dry.

Again, I digress.

So once Scottie had left, the dishes stacked up the next day. I looked around for #1, but I think he was at school or something, which meant I had to do the dishes myself.

After warming up and stretching, I turned on the water, dolloped some soap, and then scouted for the dish brush. But the thing wasn't in the sink or hanging on the little nail inside the cabinet door. While this kind of thing isn't cause for any concern, as it generally means #3 was playing with it somewhere, it did kind of give me the icks because what I like the least about doing the dishes is some OCD that I have to clean the brush before getting the gunk off the plates with it. I mean, it is wrong to use a dirty brush to clean off a dirty plate that is going into the dishwasher, right?

Frustrated, but already committed to washing the dishes, I opened up the washer (I only wash them Walton's style when the extra few minutes it takes aren't an issue) to begin the process. Lo and behold, it was already full of clean dishes.

I may be ok with doing the dishes, but for whatever reason, I hate putting them away. And for that matter, I'm ok going to get my clothes off of the clothesline or out of the dryer when I need something clean.

I digress, yet again.

So there is a bunch of dishes, but more importantly, the dish brush was in the dishwasher!

So, I concluded that Scottie must go to a good college to learn such a thing. Simply washing the dish brush with the dishes is probably the best thing taught at that college in Austin!

No comments: