Thursday, November 01, 2007

Soccer Ballerina

Reanie's first soccer season wraps up on Saturday. The talk of keeping the team together for the spring season is already going, and I'm completely supportive if she wants to play soccer and stay with Coach Robert, Coach Scott and these girls.

But I also wanted to give her the opportunity to do something else in the spring. She's expressed interest in basketball, gymnastics, and taking ballet again. For sanity's sake, I asked her to pick one for now, and we could maybe had another if everything was going ok (read: didn't inconvenience me too much).

She said she wanted to be a soccer ballerina. I explained that while there are certainly times that soccer can be graceful, there really isn't any such thing as a soccer ballerina. She said SHE is a soccer ballerina, and I say, "of course you are, Honey, but when it is time to go to practice, there isn't any place where they have soccer ballerina practice, so..." She said, "yes they do".

And I didn't feel like poking my eye out with a stick, so I let it go. That is until she asked me if we could go get a soccer ballerina outfit.

"Now, Reanie, there's really no such thing," I said, knowingly. And to prove my point, I put "soccer ballerina" into the google, dammit. I really, really, really hope I'm not coaching a soccer ballerina team in the spring.

No comments: