Monday, February 11, 2008

Love me some chain saw

Saturday. Wake up. Get some work done before everyone wakes up. Eat breakfast with my kids. Go out to do some miles before catching up with a local group ride. Stop to mess with seatpost. Stop again and mess with it some more. Stop again to mess with it some more. Stop once more, ready to quit cycling altogether only to find that the clamp is cracked. Ride home. Replace seatpost. Forget to measure saddle exactly. Guess and get pretty close. Head out to see if it is possible to meet up with the group ride afterall. Time trial like crazy thinking they are only a minute or so up the road. Get demoralized that I can't even catch the people who would get dropped. Look back at a stop sign and see the group. Join the group and struggle for a bit as I've been going full tilt trying to catch the group behind me. A mile later someone crashes and nobody stops, so I stop. He's ok so I chase back on just as we hit the hill on Hilltop. Get caught at a stop sign that the leaders blew. The group that formed up the hill waits. Someone thinks it is clear when it isn't and almost gets smushed by 70mph traffic. Smoking tires stink. This is all about a mile from where I was hit. I get sick to my stomach and throw up. Ride some more after that, thinking it might be a good way to get skinny. Catch up with Ribblit and ride some extra miles. Get home, take a shower, eat lunch. Set the DVD/VCR thing to record one of my 1992 VHS tapes to DVD, finally, after buying the thing to do it more than 2 years ago. Take a nap with Reanie. Wake up, hit the Saeco and get the chainsaw running to attack the tree that attacked the playset. Get frustrated trying to find the good lopers and pruning saw for Mama to get the kindling-sized stuff, only to see her ripping the limbs and breaking them on her leg. 3.5 hr later, and not able to much lift my arms or hear anything anymore, the pictures show the progress. Mama wants to go out for dinner, so we take the top down on the jeep and head for Mi Ranchito. Huevos Rancheros (over easy) for me. Take the back roads home. Buddy helps me drive. Get the kids in bed. Mess with work stuff for a couple hours. Get to bed myself just before it turns tomorrow.

Or I could have just gone down to Castroville and raced my bike. I know the guys are saying it was a hard, hard race, but I could have used an easy day like that.

No comments: