Monday, October 13, 2008

updates that aren't connected other than that they are my updates

Kitchen is starting to resemble an actual working kitchen. When we started running out of money for it, Chloe started working double time. She's busting her butt on this thing. I help out minimally. It works out better this way because I'm not in any way thrilled with how this process has been going, and I don't need reminders in my face about the new dishwasher that is in there now after paying guys $60/hr for 4-5 hr to fix the dishwasher they broke in the first place, ruined the floor in getting it out (floor wasn't originally part of the deal), which means the kitchen, dining room and living room are now in the game for new floors, AND THEN we call out an actual repair person, pay him $125 to tell us that it is another $400 for it to be fixed. After that, we dispatched Chloe to the dishwasher store to get a new one. $350 later, we have a new dishwasher. Do we talk about the sink that fell out or the cracked granite counter top yet? Prolly best not, as I might throw a drill or something through your computer screen.

The kids are home from school today. Dorkball coaches don't get Columbus Day off. We have a crappy union, I guess. They are playing it up, though. Noah is throwing Buddy on the swing, Reanie is riding up and down the driveway on her bike, they are chasing chickens, which is a lot harder now that we are down to only 6 or 7.

It's like the plague or something. Or that we were slow to figure out how the raccoons figured out how to get those sitting ducks in the coop at night. We'll get more after we build the new coop and run. If we're going to have so many chickens, we might as well do it right. Our originl coop was designed for about eight, so when a critter gets in there when there are 15, it's like Beaner at Golden Corral with the company credit card.

I did the group ride yesterday and didn't get dropped. First time in forever.

Noah raced the 4's on the track on Friday. Botched the first race badly due to hearing me say "Go Noah" and him thinking that meant, "Go, Noah" and then he solo'd for 6 laps. Unfortunately it was a 7 lap Danish (Win and Out) race. So 2nd, 3rd, 4th...wasn't gonna happen, either. He rallied for the next two races with a 2nd and 1st. This is against the grown ups.

Reanie weighs 50.5 lbs. Buddy weighs 50.0 lbs.


Somehow after I had said, "NO iPHONES! We don't need it. I'm against it. NO!" turned into both Noah and me having one. I admit that they are cool, but I'm scared to answer it when it rings because I might be charged $4.99 or something for answering it. Meanwhile, Noah has his doing his homework for him.


I got a new bike. I took some parts off of it because they were too good for me. But I left enough bad ass on it to force me to get out there and make the bike go like it wants to go.


Back to work for me.


UPDATE-- It was more than fawesome, because we could smell it from the driveway as we rolled up from a ride. It actually took me a moment to realize it was coming from my house, even though there's no other house it could be. First time in 3+ weeks, but Chloe made an honest-to-serious-goodness, real deal meal tonight. We ate at the table and everything. I even teared up. That was damn good.

And to lend weight to the nurture side of the nature v. nurture debate, both Reanie and Noah aced their report cards this first six weeks.

Good. Day.

No comments: