I'm out in California pretty much goofing around with some teamnut dorkballers. Back home, yesterday Mama took the POSS2 to Lake Grapevine for some "adventures" and general rock chucking. Now I want to go home, even though we're sleeping with windows and doors open and the most important thing we're doing each day is riding our bikes in Santa Barbara.I admit that I get homesick easily. I suffer guilt from being separated from the kids (not so much that I don't go on the trips at all, obviously). I talk to them daily, and I try to post pics in various places for them to see what we're doing and where we are. But when I see a picture of Reanie throwing rocks at the lake on a nice day and hearing about Buddy falling in the water (bbrrrr) and Noah having a strong ride without me, even the best fart jokes and sucker punches from good friends can't keep me from wanting to catch the next flight home.
I just don't want to miss any of it, even if it is something I've seen hundreds of times, like Buddy stuffing his mouth full of bread as if it were only going to be on the table for 20 seconds and he has to take all he can.
But here I am anyway, punching out some work (and updating this) while it is still dark in the morning here. Another solid day of riding and not much else on the agenda.
I'm pretty dang spoiled in getting to do this, and I remember that when we're going up some climb and I want to back off the effort. I've got a lot back home allowing me to do this, and to waste the opportunity would mean I'm not only away from home, dumping it all on Chloe, but also pissing away this window to be all about me.
No complaints here about being sore, or that the ride is long or that the climb is hard, or that I only have a 27t and not a 28t. No complaints about my weight (my own fault anyway). No complaints.
Now, I'm not going to say that "I'm doing this for them," because this is a selfish sport, at least in the sense of training for it, and really, since I'm not paid to train or race, there's nothing I'm contributing to them or the family at all with trying to race and training to race. It would be disrespectful to not take this opportunity I'm given now that I'm actually here.
Tough choices to make this morning. Vest or no vest and wear an undershirt? Do we leave at 1030 or 1100? Do I want an omlet with fish and avacado or eggs over easy w/ hashbrowns, bacon and pancakes for breakfast? Sushi or Italian for dinner? Take the third water bottle in my pocket and have more to drink and have it bounce on my back on the climbs, or take my chances that I can fill up somewhere along the way?
See? It ain't just smelling whatever comes out of Troy's butt and games here.
No comments:
Post a Comment