Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sister has her brother's back (and tooth)

Buddy has a wicked earache the last few days. It is bringing him to tears. He's been resting in our bed, his bed, and the guest bed in my office. He's also had a loose tooth that came out yesterday. He was so excited that he brought it down to me, handed it off with a smile, said "here's my tooth", and then went upstairs to watch a movie. That's how excited he was.

But because it was only his second tooth to lose, and partly because Reanie was more excited for him that it seemed he was for himself, we put it in a "special" bag under his pillow.

He didn't make it too long in his own bed last night. Reanie tried to comfort him, but there's not really any amount of stuffed animals or trains you can put in bed with someone to keep their ear drum from rupturing. He ended up in bed with Mama, and I slept in the guest bed.

And neither of us remembered to remind the tooth fairy.

But Reanie remembered, and when she checked (for Buddy) to see if she came, and then saw that she didn't, she took one of her own dollars and put it in the bag, and then she excitedly told Buddy that the Tooth Fairy had visited.


I know I have my shortcomings as a parent. I know my kids aren't perfect. But dangit, something is going right if one of them looks out for the other like that.

No comments: