Wednesday, May 25, 2011

and then, and then, and then...

In the last month or so I've really felt the weight of having two jobs. Please don't get me wrong, because I was born to do both of these jobs. I love doing them. As corny as it sounds, I really do love my life and how it is going.

But I sure am tired. I've nearly given up bike racing for myself, and it has been a relief. one job, and I can pull it off, even with 3 kids and such. But the two jobs, especially when one of them pretty much means I can't race at a race because I'm taking care of riders who are racing...well, I just couldn't manage to do it well.

That said, I could downgrade, and I probably should have several years ago after being hit in Argyle, but I kept hanging on and waiting to be able to race with Noah. I did that a couple of times this year before my directing job really took over, and I'll forever have that. But by now, he's so much better than me, and I'm quite a bit behind category, that it has been easier to just let it go. It still hurts to say that, but it hurts less than the stress/strain/pressure/whatever of always feeling behind on fitness.

Anyway, the two jobs has kept me from being able to sit here and crank out even a 6 minute thought. Facebook and burping out a status update has been lots easier and something I could do while waiting for the check at a meal or for the pump to kick off while filling up with gas.

Thank you, though, for still checking in. If I'm posting less than once per month and you are reading this, you either sincerely care or need to up your medication.

Life is really good here. My first job is rocking along better than ever and has taken me further than I ever thought it would when I started. My second job is accelrating faster than I thought was possible, and this is a really good thing.

Coming up is a week coaching at the Regional Development Camp, and our camp manager (Dave Wenger) set it up that I can actually stay at home most nights. Being able to work the camp for a week with some of the most talented juniors in Texas is great, but being able to see my little kids and wife at home in the evenings makes it even better.

From there we head to Tulsa and then Georgia for a prep-camp for Jr Road Nationals, and then the week of road nationals. We head home for a few days, and then up to Frisco for junior track nationals. On one hand, it is great that track nats are in Texas and nearby. On the other hand, we're a long, long way from Rimouski, Quebec, which is where we will be headed. 40 hour drive that has to be done in 2.5 days...

We'll be in Rimouski for 5-6 days, then we make the drive home, where we will do laundry, and then catch a plane to Belgium, where I will be doing some work for the Slipstream team for the month.

We'll get back just in time for school to start.

Alright. Back to work!

Nobody is making you read this, but thank you for doing so anyway.

Chris


--Bonus--
Quote of the day from Buddy: Mama, Mama, I just thought of something...(pause)...never mind. I just tooted.

No comments: