Friday, September 17, 2004

Please Deposit $0.25

This is what I found in my email box this morning: "You started your blog on fire, but it looks lik (sic) you burnt out."

I can't imagine that anyone actually cared one way or the other if there was a daily post to this thing or not, but if I have 10 minutes to peck something out on the keyboard, I'll normally do so. But there will be one week each month where I'm writing and reviewing lots of stuff anyway as we get the next edition of the paper together. On those weeks, I don't feel like writing anything, including the stuff I'm supposed to write.

But, yeah, I'd agree that there is some burn out there. I feel pretty crispy overall. I raced myself out for the season (planned), I'm working doubletime trying to get the newspaper kicked up a level, we're getting ready for Interbike, there are still two little ones here who are getting louder, faster, and more adventerous, and then there is Kid #1 who really needs a driver's license to get him to all the places he needs to go. Only seven more years. And there are my mtn bike clients who are getting their Fall seasons started, and I've got a handful of roadie clients who are getting anxious with a big stage race and State Championships coming up.

TXBRA should be pretty busy right now, but it isn't. I'll chalk that up to burn out for Prez Rob and myself. When you consider how much time and effort and babysitting Rob has put into TexasBicycleRacing and then TXBRA and into doing his part to make babies in the last few years, it is a wonder the boy can ride a bike at all. I'm comfortably nervous about TXBRA's future, but I'm mostly excited to see that Rob is going to spend more time on Enak, Inc.

And since TXBRA should be pretty busy right now, but isn't, that causes a little bit of stress. I know I shouldn't worry about it, as I'm sure there will be racing next year no matter what happens in the next 6-7 weeks. But the job ain't done until the job is done, and it is starting to feel like that term paper we had in those writing classes of our freshman year of college. We know there is something that needs to be done, and we know the deadline, but...

GSTz is still moving forward, though I've gotten out of the detail bidness of most of that stuff. Funny, just as everyone is ready to hang up the wheels for a couple weeks is when most of the work has to be done to set up for the next season. Just when I'm ready to imagine three days without lycra, I'm having to lay groundwork for the next training camp. That said, I think I'm only going to head up the O.L.D. School camp and leave the rest of the camps to the collective 'zingers to sort out.

Now that I've just written out all of the things I'm supposed to be working on, I think I'll go surf NML and the Racer's Forum on txbra.org. My favorite cigarette break lately, however, is http://www.addictinggames.com/miniputt.html. But we don't play for low score. We play by time. Try to beat 2:23 for a round of 18 holes. I think I can knock a few more seconds off of that, but it the best I've done so far.

So much to do...

"Williams, onesome. Please report to the first teebox."

OK, make that 2:18. Now 2:15. I'm on fire.

No comments: