We put the kids in the new truck and drove out to the pond, just to be silly. We picked up some firewood from a brushpile soon to be burned. We threw rocks, stomped in the mud, kissed under the mistletoe, and generally just enjoyed being outside on a cool evening.
We mooed at cows, said "bird" at birds, and we messed with a turtle's Sunday sunning. We decided which sticks were good ones and which could be thrown and which ones needed to be in the pile. Anything with thorns needed to be in the pile, for sure.
Like I said, we took the truck just because it is new. As new as a '76 F150 (The Coach, Inc. has been downsizing) can be. It was silly. Really silly when I didn't see the hole that was made with the tractor a week or so ago. Put that driver's side front wheel right in there axle deep with all of my offspring getting thrown about in the back.
They loved it, of course.
Since I wasn't exaggerating about the axle deep part, there was no way to drive or push it out. So we called upon the "U" in our SUV, and proceeded to break the two tow straps we have. Kid #1 thought it made a cool sound when they "Popped."
Mama went back to the barn for some rope and a shovel. Kid #1 watched Kid's #2 and #3. I stood there at the truck, presumably to think of something, but mostly to feel all the way stupid.
Once Mama returned, I tried not to be a jackass and say something that would cut me off for the night, but I just wanted to be grumpy right then. I think I just kept my mouth shut real good, though. I did take the shovel and make the hole less of a hole and more of a sump.
We didn't have any decent rope in an easy place to find, and it was pretty much dark, and everyone was wet, muddy and hungry, so Mama grabbed some climbing rope.
I thought, "It can't break any more than the tow straps did, so let's try it."
It took that rope a while to figure out what it was being asked to do, and it is no longer good for much, but it did the job this time. And for that, Old Climbing Rope, we salute you.
Good ride in the morning. Great lunch. Good paper being put together. Great family time this evening. Good leftovers for dinner in a bit.
That just leaves a Great night. Damn glad I kept my mouth shut earlier!
No comments:
Post a Comment