Thursday, December 23, 2004

Victory, Walmart, Pie, Rubber Boots, and Cycling Hats

Mama needed us to run to the store. When she says, "I need you to run to the store," that usually means there's baked goods about to happen. Get the keys and go. Take the phone, because she'll call you to tell you what she needs. Besides, you'll need the phone when you are walking around looking for Almond Bark or Curry Paste or somesuch.

So, Noah and I jump in Bessie (pics soon) to make the run. Since it was cold and had snowed all day, it took her awhile to warm up, which gave us plenty of time to scrape the windsheild. And throw snowballs at each other. And try to tackle each other onto a cow patty (see, they are hidden by snow, so you never know).

Once the truck was warmed up, we rumbled to FM 1171. Not that I was ever a fan of 1171 to begin with, but since we moved out here, I avoid it whenever possible. But we had to make this run to walmart. Our kind of people. To get to walmart, we have to take 1171. Ok.

We're rolling along at a nice steady 40 mph. No big thing. Bessie isn't the kind of truck that needs to go fast. She just gets you there. Besides, the wind noise at 45 mph is such that you can't hear the person next to you when they speak.

About the time we got near Robbie's house, about 5 miles away, I realized that we hadn't seen a red light yet. We were seeing all greens. Of course, if I said it then, we'd have been jinxed.

About two stoplights (both green) later, Noah says, "Funny. We haven't had to stop yet."

We got to Lewisville High School, and our string of green lights was still alive. By then, we were rooting for it. I was actually trying to figure out if I should speed up, stay the same, slow down...whatever to keep the streak alive.

The light at Taco Cabana can be seen from LHS, and it was green when we rolled by the school. Would it still be green when we got there?

Yes!

We made it all the way to the light in front of the walmart entrance, right across from 24hr fitness. And we had to wait in a line of four cars. And traffic was heavy the other direction. It was tense.

There was a break, and two cars went through. Now we are second in line, still with no arrow, but a green nonetheless. The car in front cuts it very close. For a second there we were going to be screwed due to an accident.

The light is still green, and I do that jackhole thing where you pull your car out into the intersection, so if the light turns red, everyone has to wait on you.

There is a break in traffic! The light turns yellow! For a split second I forget that Bessie is a column shift (my old truck was a floor shift), but we get her in gear, spin the tires a bit (just a bit), and we scoot through.

High fives and "Whoop"s!

Noah and I went into that walmart exuding Victory. We shared it with our people. We bought two little pies, mine apple, and his cherry. And we celebrated.

Then we bought some rubber boots, because even though we both have good work boots, even good work boots are no fun to put on when they are wet. $14.97 per pair, and we even picked up a pair for Buddy (Reanie already has some). There will be much walking and playing in the pasture tomorrow.

After picking up the boots, we headed over to the fabric section. Mama said to find some fleece material we like so she could make us winter riding hats. We are giving back the Tenzing hats we've been wearing with the rest of the stuff going back to the team. But I've found I really like that style of hat, and since we are currently on Team BAM (how 'bout that, Burke?), we get homemade hats. Some guys couldn't do that--wear homemade cycling togs.

We got the call and were given our orders. Condesened Milk, Butterscotch chips, Chocolate Chips (dark or semi-sweet; not milk chocolate), Graham Cracker Crumbs (which reminds me, for those who know Shannon, he and Teri had a baby girl, Zara, on Monday. Everyone is doing great), and Curry Paste (see? I told you.). I hope the curry paste isn't going with those other ingredients.

We checked out, threw the goods in back of the truck, and we put on what Noah called, "the most comfortable shoes ever."

We drove home. Noah said he'd take the flowers, while I carried the groceries.

I took care of something I needed to do on the 'puter, then Noah and I crunched through the snow out to the pond in our new boots.

Mama says with the the material we bought, she thinks she can make six or seven hats. You'll know who is cool by who is wearing the yellow hats.

No comments: