Monday, August 29, 2005

Play Ball

Last night was the first game of the restart to my cat 5 softball career. Scott (Noah's step-Dad) and I play on a team made up of Scott's neighbor and his coworkers. So, I got on this team as the step-third cousin twice removed or something.

I hadn't thrown a ball or swung a bat in years (since 2000 to be be precise), but I was itching to do something active. Somehow I ended up playing softball. Oh, I take that back...I did swing a bat at Gameworks when Burke, Jodith and Keegs came up, but that was a video game. I also played air hockey, so I'm quite the Bo Jackson.

Since I'm the new guy, I got to play catcher. Catcher in softball is where they put the people so they will hurt them the least. But I got to play, so I don't mind. Honestly, I probably would have been a liability in the field since I'm gimped and all.

Had a good time though. Batted three times. Grounded out, flew out, and got on (probably an error). Didn't miss any pitches, which isn't anything to brag about, but I was surprised at how many strikeouts there were in this slow-pitch game.

But the cool thing is that I didn't get hurt. This might not be a big thing to the reader, but considering the last two softball games I played netted me a torn quad and a pulled hamstring. That I didn't get hurt is a big deal.

The sad thing is that I'm sore from running 300 feet on the night.

We won though, by coming back in the bottom of the last inning, and I helped push the guy from first to third who ended up scoring. Which sort of made up for the error I made (that everybody else would have made too) during a play at the plate. When you are catcher you only get one or two real plays per game.

It was fun, and I look forward to our next game. Our team name is "Those Guys."


Oh, I went to the last doctor (I hope) I'll see about my back. Since I've been doing exercises on my own and making some adjustments to how I sit and such, there has been some improvement. With that in mind, the doc says we can hit PT more aggressively. Worst case is that I'll get surgery later. Best case is that things continue to improve. The nerve damage is there and there's not much that can be done, but strengthening my back will supposedly minimalize the issue. I like this doc, so I'm fired up about what we are doing. Should be back to racing (got approval on the homefront) in 2006. The bottom third of the field is in trouble.

No comments: