Thursday, January 05, 2006

Coaching Secrets

Now that the game is over, I can let everyone in on a little secret about the 6th Street Brawl on Dec 10.

Mack Brown contacted me in late November to see if our cycling team had any members willing to take a beating from some of his players. The idea is that a nice ass whuppin' would be good for his team's morale. While for us, it would just be same ol' same ol' of what went down for most of 2005.

We worked out the details, complete with a script. Well, I lost the script, and when I saw all the posturing and obnoious behavior out of those cocky soon-to-be National Champs, we changed up the playbook a bit.

Coach Brown picked us because we are just bike racers. If a Div 1 football team can't handle some pansy bike racers, then there wasn't any hope for them anyway. But that night, after seeing what I saw when they squared off with us, I didn't like that they just assumed that we were about to become road rubbish.

The playbook went out the window, as did the script, and what happned actually happened.

Coach Brown was unplussed. He never got loud with me, but we did have a couple of long talks, and ultimately there was some payola to get us quiet, the police to drop charges, and so forth. Hopefully Whale Call understands now why I had to get him out of there the way I did.

In the end, Coach Brown called me last night at about 11:30 to thank me. It was hard to hear over the noise, but I believe what he was saying that the way things played out actually helped them more. Something about teaching the defensive backfield what "Tough" really means, and that ultimately readied them for Reggie Bush, who, I must add, was pretty much controlled.

So, GSTz gets a small share of UT's National Championship in football!

How many cycling teams can say that they are Div 1 Football National Champs?

Ready...BREAK,
The Coach

No comments: