Ate our own eggs this morning. WORTH IT. Only two or three of our pullets are laying, or, at least, are laying where I've found the eggs, so we don't get quite enough for daily use. I did, however, collect enough so that we had breakfast with just our own. Richer tasting, better tasting, fresher...I'm gushing over eggs.
We have seven who should be laying eventually, which will get us 5-6 eggs per day, which is about what we go through. We'll pick up a few more chickens or simply let them hatch as we get a handle on our situation here.
Our actual chicken run isn't yet finished being built, so we're still helping them get couped up at night, making sure they are locked up (to keep out the bad guys), and then hosing down the patio every couple days. They aren't so good at the potty training. I do have two who are laying eggs in a nesting box/spot. They are trainable.
I've never really had a pet before. There was a dog and cat over at my Dad and Pat's, and then Cami had a kitten once until we realized that I'm not just a little bit allergic to cats. Regardless, I've never really had any pet around on a regular basis, other than Buddy.
But these aren't pets.
Oh, but they are.
Eddy, our rooster, hurt his leg or foot somehow. He's limping very noticeably. When Chloe noticed, she called me over to see him, and my first thought was, "alright! dinner!". But she immediately went into how she was going to take him to the vet.
Screeching brakes.
These chickens were $6 each. We only have a few more dollars invested in each of them. While I like Eddy alright, he's not even the top of the pecking order (yet). We don't need a rooster to get eggs, so he's pretty much here just to cockadoodledoo or get fried.
Then again, I'm not at the top of the pecking order around here, and I'm pretty gimpy, and we're not interested in hatching any of our own eggs...
No comments:
Post a Comment