Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm thinking of a number between 18 and 20

That's how many chickens are here now.
How did that happen?
Those women who have 100 cats...? I wonder when or if they realized that had a lot of cats. When they had 40 and got one more, was it because they thought one more was just right?

Anyway, there's 19 here now. Eddy and 18 women of various ages. and not a one of them is mormon as far as we know.

We have some from our original set that haven't been trumped by the food chain. There are a couple from some Becky bought this summer (she took a couple home with her), and there are seven little ones that squeak very sweetly, and then there are six "teenagers" who look pretty scraggy becauase they've been raised (until now) in a coop, whereas ours are organic granola eating montessori school attending yoga doing free range Buddhist chickens who all get hugs and kisses and sugar free lollipops daily.

It wasn't until these new ones got here that I realized how healthy ours look and are. I'm not saying these new six are total trailer park, but the ones we've had here all along are definitely gifted and talented.

The new ones aren't Barred Rocks or Rhode Island Reds, which is what we've had so far. I can't remember the names of what kind they are right now, but they lay a golden egg, blue eggs and green eggs (really). Since they are new here, they haven't quite figured out where the nesting boxes are, so a few times a day I go outside and...wait for it...look for golden, blue and green eggs. And not a damn one so far has had a quarter or mini-snickers in it.


One of the baby ones is a runt Barred Rock. So, not only is she little, she's also little little. Buddy and I took her with us to pick up Reanie from school. Guys, if you ever want to pick up on women, take a runt chicken to pick up your first grader from school. I'm not kidding, among the oooh's and aaahh's, I had a woman ask me if she could come out to the house to pet the chicken.

For sure Reanie is going to be in 1st grade again next year.

No comments: