After getting the race wheels all glued up, it made sense to actually use them in the races last weekend.
Walburg started out calm. That was odd. It was made easier by having Troy start and get in the early break. Wasn't really planning or expecting that, but it was making my day easier, so Troy was my best friend right then.
We neared the end of the first (of 3) 25 mile laps when the front moved through. By "front", I mean weather. Wind shifted to be coming from the north, was colder, and combined with the rain, made for nascaresque viewing excitement. Except that I wasn't in the leather chair watching in on tv, but instead. on a leather saddle right in the middle of the carbon and metal and bone crunching.
I was riding my newly glued up rear wheel, but I used Noah's front wheel since my newly glued front wheel didn't meet my comfort standards. Noah's front wheel had all of three races on it for a total about about 45 miles. It was a new tire, basically.
So, brakes are locked up. Things are sliding around. There's some rodeoing going on. I'm fishtailing. My front wheel is turned 90deg to the left, but I'm sliding (upright) straight ahead. I should be going over the bars or into the ditch. or something.
Somehow, I made it through all that. But then the race got ha-ard. Because the official had to stop with the crash, all but two or three of the racers acted like the teacher was out of the room and were riding in the other lane into oncoming traffic. And there were cars coming. And I was trying to get that thumpthumpthump feeling out of my head as my tires reminded me what I just did at every rotation.
Between those things and the sick feeling I had that I just ruined two $60 brand new, just glued tires...I quit the race. I think I've quit 10 or so races in 28 years of racing (it's well over 750 races. could be closer to 900). maybe 5 of those have been fuggin Walburg.
Then I played with Reanie and Buddy in a cemetary while I watched the rest of the races unfold. Good day for LSW.
Next day was Pace Bend. I thought the entry fee was too steep. Still do, but ultimately, it was super easy because a team kept the race steady and fast for a good chunk of it. Basically, it was like paying $45 for a 3 hr tempo motor pace session, which is less than I would charge. Deal!
Last year the race played out similarly, but with two laps to go, I gambled and went with a strong move that had major players in it. That move didn't work out, and I rolled it in with the pack with nothing left to sprint.
This year, though, I fought some urges to try something, reminding myself that at 27+ mph, nothing was going to stay away out there, and there were current and former pros right around me in the group, and I knew that they weren't just riding there waiting to get dropped...
So I tried to get in the bunch sprint mindset. I moved up. Got in the right spot. Had some folks tangle in front of me. Ignored it well. Had someone bump into my right side hard, and he got all wobbily. Then I saw Troy go off the road. Then I heard another tangle of bikes. Then someone in front of me sat up and stopped pedaling. I went around to the left, which was in the gravel/grass, got all sideways, and by then it was just a few hundred meters to go. Damn.
I'm not going all Walter Mitty here. I mean, we're talking about top 20 or 25, maybe, but I lost all kinds of momentum right when things took off. Oh well. If I were better, I wouldn't be hanging out on the fringes, but instead, up front with the meat.
I think I officially ended up sixty-eleventh.
Now I get to glue on some more tires.
Thank you, Noah, for handing up water bottles on Sunday. it was much appreciated. Wouldn't have made it to the finish without those.
No comments:
Post a Comment