Wednesday, December 21, 2016

On being Buddy

Chloe and I were knocking our brains together trying to come up with that special something for Christmas as a gift for our youngest, Buddy. Please know that he understands the giving.
The kid saves his money. This season is where and when he spends it each year. He does his own shopping. In fact, we can be out somewhere, and he'll disappear without saying anything. We get worried, but then he shows back up with a bag or bags. We don't need to teach him "better to give than receive" or any of that. He shows that he's got that down.
There's the reason for the season, and we're confident in his spirituality and where he is with it on his own terms. He's a good person, through and through.
Buddy is 13y old and around 170lbs, so he's not going to be sitting in Santa's lap to give us a head start or a lead. He won't write out a Christmas list.
Chloe and I were stressing over this, so I simply went to him and pointedly asked, "Hey, I know you aren't going to sit in Santa's lap this year, but what would you ask for if you did? Don't worry about what it costs."
He said, "I'm good. I've got what I want. I don't need anything. Don't worry about me."
That's not paraphrasing, either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seems not unlike gandhi's simplicity and minimalism.