Saturday, October 29, 2005

I need to get me one of those panty hose head cover things

Suited up and ready to ride. It is Saturday, so we're going long. Long for me right now is 20 miles. How sad is that?

I went for the hills. I rode in the big ring most of the ride to make me feel good about myself. 15-16 mph sounds more impressive when done in the big ring. I hope.

Rode the back roads and waived to all of the neon yellow jersey wearing team in training folks. Can't make fun of their outfits as I was wearing bright red knee warmers.

Through Argyle, over Hickory Hill and then Hilltop. At Four Corners I saw two riders pacing together over the hill there going to 407. By the time the four-way stop cleared, they were over the hill.

And I was going to catch them.

16 mph felt hard riding into the breeze, and for a second there, I thought about using the camera phone thing to show the progress of catching the breakaway. But I decided against it because gaining ground on them was too hard earned to throw any of it away turning this thing into more of a photoblog than it already is.

But I was catching them. Had they known I was coming after them, they would have been scared.

As I came up behind them, I tried to manipulate my wheezing to sound something like comfortable breathing. As I blasted by the camelback wearing, saggy pocketed, floppy saddle bagged duo, I gave a nod and a cool, but friendly, "What's up," and blew by them at 17 mph.

They had no chance to get on.

After rolling (just a little) the stop sign at Bartonville, I saw another pair riding towards the McMakin Hill. I was already in the little ring to roll in easy, but that Team in Training couple needed to be learned.

I rolled by the woman and said, "Howdy," and she responded with, "Oh, Hi!" That's right...she was surprised at not only my speed, but that I could talk casually while carrying it.

then I caught the guy who is probably her husband or boyfriend. I gave him a "Howdy" as well, but you could tell he was embarassed that I was showing him up with such ease. Heck, she probably was already fantasizing about me.

As Goins would say, "Don't hate me cuz you ain't me."

Hmph. Shewt, I was riding my heavy wheels too.

1 comment:

the jesus said...

I try to be ever-so-casual everytime I pass folks... just to let them know the 'pro' that just flew by them wasn't working hard and was really cool.... I have fan's everywhere AND they read my blog...