The last bottle of this I bought gave me pause. It said "original" on it. to my thinking, the original of anything doesn't need to say "original". It just is. That said, it would be contradictory to be an Old Spice snob, so I let it go. In fact, I forgot about the "original" on the bottle after awhile.
I appreciate the heft of the glass/ceramic buoy-shaped bottle that hasn't changed since the 1940's. In the mid-90's I notices that the boat had changed on the bottle, but at the time I thought I was mistaken. Why would the old ship be changed on something like this?
But it was a change. And then "orginal" was added, presumably to help Proctor & Gamble execs distinguish between the old standard and the new "sport" line.
Now, though, it's come to an end. While I was dismayed at the other changes, the last is the end for me. It is still a buoy-shaped bottle, but it is now plastic. That ruins it for me. To start my day by picking up a plastic bottle of "classic" Old Spice? I'd rather splash with straight alcohol.
And it says "classic" and "classique" on the bottle as well, as if putting something french on a bottle of Old Spice will make it high end. It's Old Spice for heaven's sake. I don't mind being unrefined or low class, but I'm not going to be cheap.
Damn.
No comments:
Post a Comment