Saturday, June 14, 2008

the gas station in Gutherie is kinda scary

We covered some ground yesterday.

Noah woke up feeling sick. Seems he caught a stomach bug I had earlier in the week. He slept in a bit, skipping breakfast, then suited up and went on the ride at camp. When we stopped to sort out the workout for the day (warm up out to the place, stop, then workout), he got in the follow car and alternatively slept and listened to war stories from David Mayer-Oaks.















The morning, and final workout of camp was a sprint workout. From there we went to see the Stubb's statue at the location of the original Stubb's Barbeque.



After we got back to the dorm, we made quick to get showered, eat lunch, load up the car, and then blaze east to get to the track in time for Master's Regionals. Noah and Royce slept a good chunk of the way, and there wasn't much talking--the were whupped.

Rob met us there, bringing me some water (thank you) helped get my bike ready while I collected my track stuff. He then took them to dinner while I got in a good 15 minute warm up, complete with one half lap sprint.

The first event for me was the 200m TT, which is used to set the pairings for the match sprints. Not my event at all (is there one?). Still running the same gear that I used the last time I did a 200m TT, and still too small, it turned out pretty good, getting 2nd. Even with a better gear for me, I couldn't have bested the winner's time. He's wicked fast. Happy with the 2nd, though.

The next event was the 50 lap points race. Turnout for these championships has been light, but you can only race those who show up, and State Championships are on the line! Our race was combined with the 40+, which makes for some interesting tactics. Anyway, I kept an eye on my competition and let the rest of the race develop, which it did in less than two laps. Step on the gas, make the break, lap the field...it was over pretty quick, but it still sort of took the wind out of me to see that we had 34 laps to go at that point. From then on it was just an exercise in making sure I didn't get into trouble. 109 and a State Championship.

The last event of the night was the team pursuit. Disappointingly, there were only two teams signed up, and even ours was thrown together via email and txt msgs in the 24 hours before the event. Mike Owens, Kevin Hill, Mark Griffen and I (thanks guys!) picked up some valuable Texas Cup points and a silver medal. We made a firm run at it, but mostly used it as experience. My legs felt way better after that pursuit than they did the points race, so that was an added bonus.

Noah and I got home about 11:00pm. He unloaded the car, and I checked on Mama, the kids, the chickens, and the garden. And then I ate a pizza.

We slept in until 7 this morning. About to head out for an easy spin, then this afternoon we'll bake in the convection oven that is sometimes referred to as the Superdrome for the remaining events of Master's Regionals.

No comments: