Thursday, January 31, 2008

Reanie's playlist

A few weeks ago, Reanie spent some time going through my iTunes with me. Noah has his own play list, so she wanted to get her own. This is the list she ended up sorting out:

Take on Me-- a-ha
Roam-- B-52's
Good Day Sunshine-- The Beatles
Beautiful-- Christina Aguilera
Bubbly-- Colbie Caillat
Big Girls Don't Cry-- Fergie
I Ran-- A Flock of Seagulls
Over My Head-- The Fray
Daughters-- John Mayer
Don't Stop Believin'-- Journey
Behind These Hazel Eyes-- Kelly Clarkson
Our House-- Madness
Safety Dance-- Men Without Hats
Desitantion Unknown-- Missing Persons
I Melt With You-- Modern English
Always Something There to Remind Me-- Naked Eyes
Unwritten-- Natasha Bedingfield
Sister Christian-- Night Ranger
I'm Gonna Be-- The Proclaimers
Pretty in Pink-- The Psychedelic Furs

We have about 1500 songs on iTunes, and while we certainly didn't go through all of them, it was clear that Reanie has an affinity for 80's music. My guess is the easy to learn lyrics and danceability is what appeals. Some of my Reanie highlights as a parent are watching her dance and sing to these songs. A few of these I added if for no other reason that I like them for her, but when the CD is playing in the car, as each and every song starts playing she says, "This is my favorite!"

I remember playing my Mom's 8-track tapes of The Eagles and Boston, but those were albums that were out after I'd been born, whereas this stuff is more like me listening to music from the 50's. Pat (my step-Mother) had some albums I'd spin when there. I played Wild Thing-- The Troggs and Papa-oo-mow-mow (can't think of the actual name)-- The Beach Boys, and others like those over and over again. The Doors and Jimi Hendrix, while I'm sure made quality music, it is like art I just don't get. I can hear it, and I know that many think it is great and appreciate it deeply, but it is lost on me. That isn't to say that much of the 80's music is good in the sense that the musicianship or lyrics are that artful, but I like it. So does Reanie. I also like the chicken fried steak sandwich at Sonic.

But when thinking about comfort songs we all have, it occurs to me that I have a great deal on my iTunes that guys my age might not want to admit to owning. And while there is plenty of recent music that gets me to enjoying the amp and bass in the Jeep, it's the 80's stuff that I'll seek out when nobody is looking.

Then again, when I know Reanie will sing along full blast with what is playing, it's like getting a corner piece of birthday cake with all that extra frosting.

No comments: