Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Report card

It isn't too often we get a parenting report card. Recently, though, we've (Chloe and I) been thinking about how we score. What with Chloe now being a full time chicken and Buddy rancher, we've been reminded just how easy it is to miss parenting "assigments", especially when everything else seems relatively ok.

But being a parent isn't something where making just a passing grade is good enough. But trying to ace the exam isn't much of a reality either.

This morning, when dropping Reanie off for school, a car pulled up behind ours and dropped off a little girl. I've seen Reanie walk with this little girl to school several times. today, though, this little girl came right up to Reanie and they gave each other a hug. That's never happened before.

I asked Reanie who this was, and Reanie said, "She's my friend."
So I asked what her friend's name is, and she said, "I don't know."

By now they are walking a step ahead of me towards the cross walk, and they are holding hands.

Grabbing Reanie's other hand, we walk the spot where Reanie and I usually stop, kiss, say "Have a great day" and so forth. During this walk, I ask Reanie's friend what her name is, and she says what I think is "Lamtasha". So I say, "Lamtasha?" and she replies, "No, Tamarasa."
"Tamarasa?"
"No, Tamasha."
"Tamasha?"

And she laughed at me.

I asked her what grade she's in (she's a head taller than Reanie), and she said, "Kindergarten!" She said it with more exclamation points, but I refuse to do that, and instead, spend 21 words saying she did.

At that point, Reanie and I kissed, I said "y'all have a great day", and at that moment they skipped, together, holding hands, backpacks bouncing away.

Today, if I were grading myself, I'm getting an "A".

No comments: