Tuesday, March 22, 2005

There was a time...

...when i could pedal a bike ok.

It ain't now, though.

Scottie and Nathan C. came over to give a client of mine some company on a ride. This guy, Peter, rides for the Subway team, so he can make two wheels go just fine. Since I knew Scottie and Nathan were due for a longish ride, and that everyone would seemingly get along for a few hours of wind, I made the calls, set it up, and so there.

With all of these people getting ready, I talked myself into going along for a little while, just to feel like I could or justify shaving my legs. When they are rolling at warm up pace, chatting away, I'm getting dropped.

I was a Rock Star in December. Lots of miles, doing all the right things. Now I'm the sound check guy for an all air guitar band.

Lots of guys say that they don't have any talent. Well, at least, you hear lots of bike racers say that other guys have talent. Any success for those who don't have talent must come from hard work. Well, let me tell you...I couldn't ride with any group ride and hang on, even through the beginning chatty phase, with the talent I was born with.

I'm back at the house now. I rode for just over an hour, came home, ate, showered, and written this. They aren't even half way done with their ride. But I had so much fun today, even if I was suffering while these guys were soft pedaling waiting for me on anything steeper than a painted line on the road. It was a bike ride. Good folk. Fast people. Maybe some of it rubbed off on me. Even if it didn't, I'd be blessed if I did nothing else but ride like that with those kinds of people just once per week. Even for the hour that they waited on me.


Who am I kidding?

Damn I have a long way to go.

No comments: